Step-by-Step Guide on how to link your Aadhaar with Pan Card: Aadhaar Card and PAN Card are two very important documents of identity used nationally. They serve different purposes but with the recent wave of linking Aadhaar in India, it has become mandatory to link Aadhaar with Pan card. Pan or Permanent Account Number is a 10-digit code which is unique and given to each adult who has a tax liability in the country. It comes under the ambit of the Income Tax Department and links each transaction made by an individual to easily track their tax liability. It is compulsory to file an Income Tax Return in India; and all individuals including Non-Resident Indians are expected to have it. Further, it is also used as an identity proof for age and name.
The Aadhaar Card is a Unique Identification card consisting of 12 unique digits given to each Indian citizen and is issued by UIDAI or Unique Identification Authority Of India. It is mandatory to have an Aadhaar Card to avail many government schemes and services for identity verification purposes. It is important to link Aadhaar with Pan for many reasons. By linking these two, it will be easier for the government to track all taxable transactions of an individual; hence preventing tax evasion. It will also stop many individuals who try to defraud the government by holding multiple PAN Cards.
You can link your Aadhar card and PAN Card online or by using SMS facility. The steps to carry out this process using both the methods are mentioned below.
Steps to link your Aadhaar with PAN through SMS
- Firstly, draft a message in the following manner: UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>
- Text the above message to 567678 or 56161 from a contact number registered with your Aadhaar card.
- For instance, your Aadhaar number is 931679866512 and your PAN is EFGHI6789J, input UIDPAN 931679866512 EFGHI6789J and send the message to either 567678 or 56161
Procedure to link PAN Card and Aadhaar Card
To link PAN and Aadhaar cards, PAN holders have to get themselves registered on the portal of income tax (i.e. incometaxindiaefiling.gov). After doing the needful mentioned above, they need to ensure that the below said steps are completed:
- Firstly, open the online portal of the Income Tax Department (mentioned above in this article) by entering their log-in details which are ID, password and date of birth
- After logging in, there will be a pop-up window asking you to whether you want to link you PAN card with Aadhaar card.
- After clicking on the said pop-up, details which were already given in the previous steps while registering yourself such as name, date of birth and gender will be automatically filled up. If any other detail is asked then you need to fill that column.
- Once you have given every detail asked then the next step is to verify it with the details on your Aadhaar card.
- Then enter the Aadhaar card number in the required field and then a final click on the “link now” tab.
- A message will appear on your screen to inform you that your PAN card has been successfully linked to your Aadhaar card.
Go to the online official website of income tax department i.e. incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
Make yourself register on it. The user id will be your PAN (Permanent Account Number).
User ID, Password and Date of Birth are required to log in to the said website .
Then a message on your window will pop-up. However, if no message pops-up on your screen then look out for Profile Settings somewhere on the top of the window and there you will find a tab naming ‘Link Aadhaar’.
Fill the required field with details like name, DOB and gender as mentioned on your PAN. Once this is done then mention your Aadhaar card number (12 digits). After verifying ‘captcha’, then Click On Link Aadhaar.
Thereafter, a message stating that your PAN has been successfully linked to your Aadhaar card will appear on your screen and the process is complete then.